Massive. Unprecedented. A weapon of mass destruction. That’s how cyber security experts describe the impact of the ransomware known as WannaCry that’s now sweeping the globe. In the span of just a few hours, more than 99 countries have been affected and 57,000 cases documented.
The devastating impacts are being felt everywhere. In fact, the BBC reports that the UK’s National Health Service has been victimized and patients have been turned away—with patient deaths expected as a likely result.
How WannaCry works
Data security experts suggest the ransomware infections are initially launched from phishing emails containing .zip files. They also note WannaCry is deployed by a worm, and that it has the capacity to identify vulnerabilities and move on its own.
This ransomware attack is making the critical importance of a robust data security and remediation strategy abundantly clear.
Protect against WannaCry
All organizations should take note that WannaCry appears to attack the Windows vulnerability known as EternalBlue and that users should patch their systems immediately with the MS17-010 security update.
For additional insights into guarding against a ransomware attack, check out these resources:
- Protect Against Ransomware - Backup Strategies That Work blog post
- Ransomware: Security or Recovery? blog post
- Relentlessly Protect Your Data From Ransomware article
- Ransomware - Fighting a Real Problem with Real Solutions webcast
- Outsmarting Ransomware with Arcserve webinar
Learn how organizations like yours are winning the fight against ransomware:
- Oxygen Resuscitates Healthcare Institutions Victimized by Malicious Ransomware Attacks case study
- Oxygen Renders Ransomware Attackers Powerless with Successful, Redundant Backup case study
It’s only a matter of time before your organization is hit by a ransomware attack. With best practices for security and regular, redundant backups in place, you’ll be empowered to recover without succumbing to ransomware attacker demands.
You May Also Like
- Backup and Disaster Recovery Channel: MSPs / VARs / SIs Compliance Cybersecurity Data Protection Ransomware
DCIG Offers “Safe Assumptions” About Microsoft 365 SaaS Backup: How Arcserve Stacks UpMarch 23rd, 2023
- Channel: MSPs / VARs / SIs
MSPs: 4 Surefire Ways to Attract New Customers (and Keep Current Customers Happy)March 22nd, 2023
- Cybersecurity Data Protection Data Resilience
Researchers Use ChatGPT AI-Powered Malware to Evade Endpoint Detection and Response FiltersMarch 21st, 2023