A recent Forbes article says that virtualization is one of the five most significant technology trends in 2022 and will continue to be adopted at an accelerated rate. So, it’s likely that if you’re not using virtualization today, you will do so at some point in the future. Today, Microsoft Hyper-V is one of the world’s leading virtualization technologies, right behind VMware vSphere in market share.
Server virtualization—and Microsoft Hyper-V in particular—has transformed how enterprises manage their physical server infrastructure, says DCIG president and founder Jerome Wendt in his introduction to the 2022-2023 DCIG Top 5 Microsoft Hyper-V Backup Solutions report. The top five Hyper-V VM backup list includes Arcserve UDP unified data protection and appliances. Arcserve is also included in the 2022-2023 DCIG Top 5 Midsize Enterprise VMware VSphere Backup Solutions list.
Multiple VM Backup Deployment Options a Must-Have
DCIG looked at more than 30 VM backup solutions that could protect applications, data, and workloads hosted on Microsoft Windows Server Hyper-V. Of those, only 12 met DCIG’s criteria for a Microsoft Hyper-V backup solution: the ability to be deployed using at least two of these three methods:
- Preconfigured physical or virtual backup appliance
- Licensed software on a physical or virtual machine, residing on-premises or in the cloud
- Cloud-based software as a service (SaaS) accessed via subscription
The 12 finalists had in common these VM backup support capabilities:
- Support for Microsoft Windows as a guest operating system (OS)
- Integration with and creation of application-consistent backups for leading Microsoft applications
- Integration with and creation of application-consistent backups for Oracle Database
- Support for block, file, and cloud storage media backup targets
- Multiple restore options
- Email, phone, and online knowledgebase, and web chat support
What You Get From the Best Hyper-V Backup Solutions
Meanwhile, DCIG found that another set of common threads in the top five Hyper-V backup solutions, noting that all of them stood out from the other competitive offerings in at least these three ways:
- Protection for all Linux guest OSes supported by Microsoft Hyper-V
- Universal backup support for tape and tape libraries
- Advanced restore capabilities, including:
- Instant VM restores
- File restores from array-based snapshots
- Search guest VMs backed up with an agent for files and folders
Arcserve UDP and Appliances: Mature VM Backup and Restore
In its review of the top five VM backup solutions, DCIG notes that “Arcserve continues to mature its solution to meet current Hyper-V backup needs. Many recent Arcserve innovations better equip organizations to prevent and recover from ransomware attacks.” DCIG called out three specific Arcserve UDP features in its review that differentiate it from the other top five offerings:
Secured by Sophos
With 95 percent of ransomware attacks targeting Windows-based systems, Arcserve’s Secured by Sophos offerings give you more confidence that your backups will be protected from ransomware.
Support for immutable cloud and on-premises storage
With ransomware targeting backups more frequently, it’s crucial that you keep your backups in an immutable object store. Immutable backups can’t be altered or deleted. Arcserve UDP supports immutable storage in the cloud and on-premises. Arcserve OneXafe appliances give you immutable scale-out network-attached storage for your backup targets and unstructured data.
Multiple appliance architectures
Many organizations use backup appliances because they are easier and faster to deploy, maintain, and manage. Arcserve 9000 Series appliances protect you from data loss with an all-in-one disaster recovery, backup, cybersecurity, and application availability. Both appliance lines use a single server architecture based on Windows.
DCIG also highlights the Arcserve N Series, which offers enterprise backup appliances that combine UDP orchestrated recovery with Nutanix flexible scale-out design (along with Sophos cybersecurity).
Take a Free Hyper-V Backup Test Drive
Ready to dig into all the features and benefits of Arcserve UDP? Take advantage of our free trial offer, or find an expert Arcserve technology partner to help guide you to the best solution for your requirements.
Click here to download the DCIG report.
You May Also Like
- Backup and Disaster Recovery Channel: MSPs / VARs / SIs Compliance Cybersecurity Data Protection Ransomware
DCIG Offers “Safe Assumptions” About Microsoft 365 SaaS Backup: How Arcserve Stacks UpMarch 23rd, 2023
- Channel: MSPs / VARs / SIs
MSPs: 4 Surefire Ways to Attract New Customers (and Keep Current Customers Happy)March 22nd, 2023
- Cybersecurity Data Protection Data Resilience
Researchers Use ChatGPT AI-Powered Malware to Evade Endpoint Detection and Response FiltersMarch 21st, 2023