Yes, it’s almost here…after several months of development and extensive beta testing, Arcserve UDP Update 2 is nearly here. By any measure, Update 2 really packs a punch, with a vast array of enhancements across several key areas of the product, as well as a new Free Edition of UDP Workstation!
So, diving into the key areas in more detail…
Enhanced Support for Microsoft-Based Applications and Granular Restore
Arcserve UDP is renowned for providing fast, efficient, application-aware data protection and recovery for the very latest Microsoft-based operating systems and applications. With Update 2, Arcserve further extends that protection for the following applications:
- Exchange 2013, 2010 & 2007: Image backup and granular recovery from host-based agentless Exchange backups
- SQL 2014 AAG: Image backup and restore of SQL AlwaysOn Availability Group cluster nodes
- Active Directory: Image backup and granular restore of AD objects and authoritative Bare Metal Recovery
- Oracle for Windows: Image backup and granular restore of database, tablespace, parameter file, control file and archived log
- Pervasive PSQL v11: Image backup and application-aware backup, with database level restore capability
- MSCS Clusters: Backup & restore of cluster nodes
Enhanced Virtual Infrastructure Support
Arcserve UDP was purpose-built to protect the latest VMware and Hyper environments. With Update 2, protecting your (dynamic, ever-changing!) Hyper-V and VMware environments, just got a whole lot faster and easier:
- Transparently handles offline VMs, live migrations, and fail overs between backups of Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 & 2012 Clustered Shared Volumes (CSV)
- VM Auto-Discovery: Discover and import new VMware and Hyper-V nodes quickly and easily, while creating a plan
- VMware Backup Transport Mode Switching Per Plan: Optimize your backup performance, by setting your LAN (NBD & NBDSSL), SAN and HotAdd transport preferences
- VMware vSphere 5.5 U2 Support
- VMware VSAN Support
Simplified Upgrade Path, with Huge Storage Capacity Savings Ahead!
Great news for our existing Arcserve D2D customers! Upgrading from D2D to UDP just got a whole lot easier and with UDP global deduplication, you can expect some HUGE storage savings ahead:
- Recovery Point Migration: Enables D2D r16.5 recovery points to be migrated to UDP RPS de-duplicated data stores, which dramatically reduces backup storage requirements and backup windows
- Data Migration Wizard: Enables multi-select of protected nodes and dramatically simplifies the D2D to UDP recovery point migration process
Improved Recovery Point Server Management
Sizing and managing UDP Recovery Point Servers just got much easier. With Update 2, you can now start small and scale up as and when you need to…no problem.
- Switch from Memory mode to SSD mode or vice versa for RPS data stores: Enables Recovery Point Servers to be scaled from small to large by enabling the RPS configuration to be switched from memory mode to an SSD drive “On-the-fly”
- Delete Nodes from RPS Data Store: Enables nodes and backup data to be removed from RPS data stores
Too many to list here, but Update 2 includes many enhancements that were requested during Beta testing, such as: Exclude days of the week from daily backup schedule. Cancel Agent deployment. RPS to tape performance improvements. BMR to smaller disks. Documented Console APIs. Counting Managed Capacity on the license manager. Improved Copy Recovery Points task after Host-Based Agentless backup, compatible with VHD format…and more!
New Free Edition of UDP Workstation!
Yes. Believe it or not, we’re actually giving away a free, fully-functional Workstation edition product! Unlike Veeam Endpoint Backup Free, Arcserve UDP Workstation is already protecting tens of thousands of desktops and laptops around the world. In addition, Arcserve UDP Workstation comes with the features and capabilities that you would expect, such as global deduplication, BMR, public and private cloud support, centralized management, configuration and deployment to name a few.